»

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Homemade Dog Treats

Hello everyone!

I wanted to share with you guys my recipe for homemade dog treats. Since I got Scarlet, my treats have been disappearing twice as fast and those suckers are expensive! These treats below are fairly easy and cheap. You might have to go to the store for the ingredients that I use because you probably don't have wheat germ just lying around in your pantry. I created this recipe based on what I had in my pantry-- Yes, I had the wheat germ because another recipe for dog treats contained this ingredient. Anyways, here's the recipe:

Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Dog Treats

1/2 c. Peanut Butter
3/4 c. Pumpkin
1/2 c. Oil
1/4 c. Honey
1/2 c. Wheat Germ
1/2 c. Old-Fashioned Oats
1 1/4 c. Whole Wheat (You will need more of this to dust the surface of the counter to roll it out.)


Here are the ingredients. Although, I forgot to add the honey to it!


1. Mix the peanut butter, pumpkin, oil, and honey together. (Here's the picture of the honey!)


2. Mix in the rest of the ingredients, the wheat germ, oats, and whole wheat flour.


3. Spread some whole wheat flour on the counter top and roll out the dough. You'll want to roll it out to about 1/4 in. I like to have a little thicker treats. 



4. Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Back down to 300 degrees for another 20 minutes. Your cooking time might be a little different than mine because I have a convection oven. Just make sure that you check the treats about every 10-15 minutes. If you see they are getting darker than you would like, but the middle of the treats are still REALLY soft, then turn the oven down.


You can see this makes a lot of treats. (Yes, I wrap my bottom oven rack with aluminum foil to keep my oven clean! It's such a great trick!!) Make sure you let them cool before you put them away, ESPECIALLY if you're putting them in a plastic bag.
I hope you guys enjoy these! 

And here's a parting shot of my two babies enjoying a stick together! They were just sprayed by the hose before this.

I hope ya'll have a wonderful week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment