»

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Homemade Chicken Stock

Hey Everyone!

   My DH and I are getting ready to work on our new floors! (We bought the Harmonics Flooring from Costco when it was $16 off a box. I am so excited for hardwood throughout our house!!!) Anyways, while he's out at the gas station getting a Red Bull, I thought I'd quickly post my recipe for my chicken stock.

   Now, I really don't have measurements, I just throw stuff into a pot and let it simmer for a while.

Chicken Stock:
Bones from a roasting chicken (Including the stuff that comes inside the chicken.. the heart, gizzard, etc.)
3 bay leaves
1-2 tsps thyme (or sprigs of thyme, probably 3-5)
1 onion, chopped into 4 pieces
3 stalks, chopped into 3's-Don't worry about tearing the leaves off of the stalks, this adds more flavor.
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2's or 3's
Some peppercorns (probably 10-15)
Salt to taste
Enough water to cover all of this, I usually put a LOT of water in it to where it's almost to the top of the pot. Some of this will evaporate.


1.) Put everything into a dutch oven, or a big pot, and let it cook for about 2 hours. You could probably go longer if you wanted to.

Yep, that's it! It's that EASY!!

I will tell you, one of my DH and I's favorite dinner is roasted chicken. Anytime I roast a chicken for dinner, I throw everything left over in a bag and put it in my freezer for homemade chicken stock. It is SO easy and tastes REALLY good! (So much better then the canned stuff!) And again, YOU CONTROL what goes in it! I think this is what really drives me to home cook everything. There are so many preservatives in some foods that you get at the store.

Well I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July!

Thank you to all the brave men and women, past and present, that serve our country. I am eternally grateful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment